Restrictions on Mortgage Interest for Landlords
Since April 2017 landlords have no longer be able to obtain 100% relief on their finance costs at the higher rate of income tax. Finance costs includes mortgage interest, interest on loans to buy furnishings and fees incurred when taking out or repaying mortgages or loans. No relief is available for capital repayments of a mortgage or loan.
The new measure means that property owners with higher incomes no longer receive the most generous tax treatment. To give landlords time to adjust, the government has introduced this change gradually from April 2017 over 4 years as follows:-
- In 2017 to 2018, the deduction from property income (as was previously allowed) will be restricted to 75% of finance costs, with the remaining 25% being available as a basic rate tax reduction
- In 2018 to 2019, 50% finance costs deduction and 50% given as a basic rate tax reduction
- In 2019 to 2020, 25% finance costs deduction and 75% given as basic rate tax reduction
- From 2020 to 2021, all financing costs incurred by a landlord will be given as a basic rate tax reduction
These reforms mean that the way taxable income is calculated will change and this may have other implications for some. For example, if you or your partner receive Child Benefit and your income is over £50,000 you will lose some of your Child Benefit.
The content of this article is for general information only and does not constitute tax advice. It should not be relied upon and action which could affect your business should not be taken without appropriate professional advice.
Callum Somers ACCA
Growing up on a Dairy farm in East Devon, Callum joined Evolution ABS in 2010 and qualified as a Certified Chartered Accountant in 2015. Callum looks after a wide variety of clients, helping them meet their accountancy, payroll and tax needs.
Outside of work Callum is a very keen sportsman and particularly enjoys a game of golf or playing football for his local club.